Motor Vehicles and Parking Regulations

Public Safety
Dilworth Hall
Web Site

Any motor vehicle that you operate on University property, either regularly or temporarily, must be registered and is subject to the driving and parking regulations issued by the University. The University is not responsible for any car on campus, property in a vehicle, damage caused by accidents, or for mechanical problems.


If you plan to park a car on campus, you must purchase a parking decal from the Department of Public Safety at the beginning of the year or the spring semester. All registered vehicles must display a Parking Decal. Parking Decals expire on August 31st of each year. Part-time evening and weekend students may receive their parking decal from Public Safety within Dilworth Hall. All vendors are to check in with Public Safety for a temporary permit for any prolonged parking on campus.

First-Year resident students are not permitted to have cars on campus during the first year. Questions or requests for permission regarding this policy should be referred in writing to the Department of Public Safety, Dilworth Hall, 450 S. Easton Road, Glenside PA 19038. Please feel free to call with questions at 215-572-2800.

To acquire a parking decal, an application must be completed at the Public Safety Office or online. The office is located on the ground floor of Dilworth Hall. Students will need a valid vehicle registration and operator’s license when completing the application. During the first two weeks of the semester, Public Safety Office relocates to Taylor Hall. Students may obtain parking permits within Taylor Hall during these extended hours of operation.

Parking decals are non-transferable; in other words, students may not register the vehicle of another student, share a decal or give their parking decal to another person. Temporary parking permits are available at the Public Safety Office, Dilworth Hall ground floor, for those occasions when it is necessary to have a vehicle on campus for a very short period of time. Guests generally do not need a temporary parking permit when parking between 5pm Friday through 7am Monday.

Student Parking

All parking lots are specifically marked. Arcadia has Student parking lots, Faculty/Staff parking lots. All parking lots require a parking permit (either a vinyl parking decal or a cardboard temporary parking permit). The temporary parking permits can be used for a maximum of 3 consecutive days. A guest is someone who comes to campus to visit a student. A visitor is someone who is here to conduct business with faculty or staff.

Parking Penalties

Penalties are assessed for motor vehicle and parking violations. Specific fines are posted in Public Safety's Parking on Campus Web page on the University Web site. Vehicles are not authorized to park next to curbs on the main drive unless designated by a sign. Vehicles parked in areas posted as booted or tow away zones will be booted or towed at the owner’s expense without warning! Vehicles parked in fire zones and handicapped spaces are also subject to citations issued by the Cheltenham Police Department. All fines are to be paid by cash, check, or placed on a student account, within five business days of being issued a citation, at the One Stop Shop or Public Safety. After the 5 business days there will be a $15 fee added to the fine. Fines must be paid prior to grades being released or before a student will be able to register for future classes. All appeals must be made within 5 business days of citation date unless the University is officially closed, then a citation appeal should be received during the next business day. No appeals will be processed if received after this period.

Visitor Parking

If you have a visitor on campus with a vehicle, you need to obtain a temporary parking permit from the Public Safety Office in Dilworth Hall (215-572-2800) or by the Desk Receptionist within Kistler, Heinz or Thomas Halls. It is your responsibility to inform the visitor of the regulations. NOTE: temporary parking permits are generally not required for visitor parking between 5pm Fridays through 7am Monday.

Motorcycles, Motorbikes and Scooters

If you have a motorcycle, motorbike or scooter on campus, you must adhere to the same “moving” and parking regulations that apply to all vehicles. Parking inside buildings is strictly prohibited at all times. All motorcycles, motorbikes and scooters need to be registered.


Bicycles are not to be stored in corridors, lobbies, or under steps. Bike storage racks are located throughout campus outside administrative buildings and residence halls. At the end of the academic year, Public Safety will remove any bikes left abandoned on campus bike racks. Contact the Student Affairs Office at 215-572-2933 for appropriate locations for parking or storing your bicycle.