Arcadia University requests that every student annually provide, on a voluntary basis, emergency contact information in the event that you are reported missing. This emergency contact information may be the same as or distinct from the contact information you provide in the event of a medical emergency. If members of our community suspect that an Arcadia University student living in University housing is missing from campus, please immediately contact a staff member in one of the following offices:
- Public Safety: 215-572-2800 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week)
- Student Affairs: 215-572-2933 (9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday)
Members of Public Safety and Student Affairs will investigate all reports of missing students they receive. There is no waiting period for reporting a missing person. In order to develop a thorough investigation plan, staff may utilize the following possible investigation steps including, but not limited to:
- use of phone, e-mail, text and social media to attempt to reach the student;
- contact known friends, roommates, faculty, campus employers and others who may have had contact with the student in previous days;
- explore and verify any use of student ID card activities to enter buildings or make purchases on campus; and
- consult with other campus authorities who may know the student or specific circumstances or events pertinent to the student and the possible disappearance.
Particular care will be exercised in instances involving those who may be mentally or physically impaired or other who are insufficiently prepared to care for themselves. If the investigation determines that the student’s whereabouts have been unknown for twenty-four (24) hours, the University will:
- Notify the individual identified as your missing person contact
- Notify a parent or guardian and the appropriate law enforcement agency
The Arcadia University Public Safety Department will notify the Cheltenham Police Department within 24 hours of determining that an on-campus resident student has been missing for 24 hours. Reports of students missing from off-campus will be referred to the police department having jurisdiction over the student's local residence, if known, or the student's permanent residence if a local residence cannot be determined. If you wish to provide the University with contact information in the event you are reported missing, please access the Emergency Contact Form on MyArcadia. Registration in the database is voluntary, but is strongly encouraged. The information provided is confidential and will only be used by university officials and local police to aid in locating a student who has been reported missing or where disclosure is legally required by a search warrant or subpoena. If such student is under the age of 18 and is unemancipated, the University will also notify the student's parent or legal guardian within the 24 hour period after Public Safety has determined that the student is missing.